Добавить в цитаты Настройки чтения

Страница 20 из 150

A view of correctional officers standing inside the prison’s main sallyport entrance. In the background is the main door to the prison, and of special note is the gate lock mechanism (right). The sallyport featured sliding steel plates on the gate locks, which shielded the key slots. The Armory Officer was the only person who had access to the slide panel. Once the shield was opened, the officer would use a key to unlock the gate manually.

A view showing the main door open to allow access to the cellhouse.

One of several documents authorizing the transfer of military property to the Bureau of Federal Prisons.

Under the transfer agreement from the War Department to the Justice Department, Alcatraz would continue to provide laundry services to the U.S. Army, as well as several other support services. The Army transferred title of nearly all of the industry equipment, and established a long-term agreement to provide fresh water delivery, which would continue in force throughout the history of the island. The Army would finally evacuate from the island on June 19, 1934, leaving behind thirty two inmates to assist in the transition.

Officers could control each cell remotely using pull levers located at the end of each cellblock. The officer could open an individual cell or a group of cells.

In April of 1934, work began to give the prison a new face and sound security features. The Stewart Iron Works Company of Cinci

Gun galleries were positioned at each end of the main cellblock, allowing guards to carry weapons while secured behind iron rod barriers that were beyond the prisoners’ reach. These galleries allowed the armed guards to oversee all inmate activities, and to cover the officers who walked the cellhouse floors unarmed.

Metal detectors were positioned at strategic entry and exit points around the prison. Inmates would later affectionately refer to these devices as “stool pigeons” or “snitch boxes,” as they were effective in detecting hidden metal contraband. Other detection devices were also utilized throughout the prison’s history to discover metallic contraband items.

Special tear-gas canisters were installed in the ceiling of the Dining Hall, which could be remotely activated from both the gun gallery and the outside observation points. Guard towers were strategically positioned around the island’s perimeter. A new technology allowed for the use of electromagnetic metal detectors, which were positioned outside the Dining Hall and on prison industry access paths. The prisoners would later affectionately refer to these devices as “mechanical stool pigeons.”

The New Cellhouse

Broadway, the main prison corridor (between B and C Blocks). This contemporary photo was taken from the Mess Hall gate, looking toward the East Gun Gallery and the Visitors’ Station. The cells along the flats of Broadway were the least favored by the inmate population. These cells were subject to the greatest amount of traffic and the least privacy. They received no direct sunlight, and were considerably colder than cells in other sections, since the heat radiators were located along the cellhouse interior perimeter.

This is a period view of Broadway around 1940, looking toward the West End Gun Gallery and the Mess Hall. Note the officer visible in the Gallery. New inmates were assigned to the second tier of B Block, and were quarantined in their cells for a ninety-day period. During this time they were not provided with work assignments, and were not allowed to see movies in the upstairs auditorium. They were only released from their cells for meals, recreation, religious services, and showers. Alcatraz was racially segregated, and African-American inmates were assigned to this area of the prison.

A view of cells from the second tier of B Block, taken in December of 1954.

After the 1934 renovations were complete, the new steel reinforced concrete cellhouse would contain four cellblocks, each housing 168 cells, with no one cell adjoined to any perimeter wall. If an inmate were able to tu

In the middle of each block was a utility corridor containing plumbing and ventilation ducts for each cell. The cross-aisle at the front of the prison was named by inmates “Peekin’ Place.”  This was the location of the visiting area, which consisted of four small bulletproof windows with small partitions. Inmates would sit here to talk with relatives and authorized guests during their visiting period. Directly across on the opposite end of the cellhouse was Times Square, so named because of a large wall-mounted clock that hung at the base of the West Gun Gallery.